The international symposium on "The State of Fine Art – New Perspectives on Artistic Copyright" took place on November 4, 2014 in Brussels under the patronage of Helga Trüpel (MEP).
For the first time, this event saw European collecting societies and artists' organizations in the field of the visual arts take joint action at the European level. The aim was to draw attention to current copyright issues and to present the positions of the visual arts sector in Europe to the members of the European Parliament and the representatives of the new European Commission.
The symposium was organised by the VG Bildkunst (Collecting Society for the Visual Arts), the Internationale Gesellschaft der Bildenden Künste (IGBK, International Association of Art in Germany), European Visual Artists (EVA), in cooperation with EuroMEI and the International Association of Art (IAA) Europe.
The event took place at the Belgian Society of Authors, Composers and Publishers (SABAM) in Brussels. Representatives of collecting societies and artists' organizations discussed the following topics on the panels:
- Resale right: implementation of the resale right and the European Resale Rights Directive
- Copyright contracts: What form would a fair European contract law take with regard to creators?
- Private copy remuneration: Importance of fair private copy remuneration
- User generated content and ISP responsibility: What problems and positions are there, what solutions are being proposed?
- During the following evening reception was presented the video screening "High Heel Obsession" by Klaudia Stoll and Jaqueline Wachall.